Kinesio - PjSullivanKinesio Taping, Lubbock, Texas
The Tennis World
LAST JANUARY (2010) DURING THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN, ON-AIR COMMENTATOR JIM COURIER TOOK NOTE OF PLAYER NOVAK DJOKOVIC’S KINESIO HAMSTRING TAPING. THE TENNIS BLOG “TENNIS PERSPECTIVE” FOLLOWED UP WITH AN UNOFFICIAL LIST OF TENNIS PROFESSIONALS WHO HAD BEEN SEEN USING KINESIO TAPING AT MAJOR TOURNAMENTS AND QUALIFIERS.
The blog noted “The tape has been very popular at this year’s season starting tournaments.” They listed the following:
- Elena Dementieva used it on her calf muscle at the Hopman Cup.
- Mardy Fish had his adductors and his knee taped in Sydney as he comes back to the tour after knee surgery.
- Lleyton Hewitt had been wearing it on his knee for months.
- Justine Henin is playing the Australian Open with tape on her adductors.
- Maria Kirilienko had her hamstrings taped, as did Novak Djokovic.
- Na Li had it all over her leg.
- Gael Monfils has been using it on his shoulder.
The blog ran photographs of Monfils, Li and Henin with the tape, and noted players that had used it in previous years. “Rafa Nadal and Fernando Verdasco [used Kinesio Taping] for abdominal tears in [the 2009] US Open, Tommy Robredo [used it] for a knee problem inMadrid in 2008 and Fernando Gonzalez [has used it] for patella tendonitis.
“Back in 2007, The Age newspaper in Australia had looked into the reason for Serena Williams having Kinesio tape on her knees. They quoted Williams:
“Before the match, I had taping for prevention since I was feeling a little tight in both knees. I thought I was tighter in the right knee but then, once I had to increase my range of movement, the left knee got worse. I’ve had issues with my knees before, especially the left knee since that’s the one I had surgery on in 2003.”
Although many at the time assumed that it was some sort of fashion statement – not unexpected from the flamboyant Williams – The Age reported that “The idea is to tape around a muscle to prevent over-contraction
“FURTHER READING: http://www.tennisperspective. com/2010/01/what-is-kinesio-tape.html
Credit: Advanco Hoaling Media Rolrospecflvepage 21